FIRST AVE Project
1st Avenue, a former railroad corridor, is a 66’ wide right-of-way stretching from I-29 in the west to Indian Creek in the east. It is one block south of West Broadway and represents an opportunity to link downtown Council Bluffs with downtown Omaha and all points in between.
Roughly 30% of Council Bluffs residents live within a half-mile of 1st Avenue. The corridor is lined with businesses along West Broadway, destinations such as Thomas Jefferson High School and Cochran Park, and numerous opportunities for mixed-use and multi-family residential redevelopment.
“FIRST AVE” is an acronym that stands for Furthering Interconnections, Revitalization, Streetscapes, Transportation, and Aesthetics for a Vibrant Economy. This webpage is where we post pertinent information and plans related to the efforts in this important corridor.
FIRST AVE Podcast: Tune in to hear what’s happening along 1st Avenue in Council Bluffs, Iowa. City of Council Bluffs Communications Officer Ashley Kruse and Community Development Director Brandon Garrett explore the transformative project and share everything from the specific details to the big picture vision for the future.
FIRST AVE Interactive Map: Check out the online, interactive map that presents the layers of analysis developed for the First Ave Transit Alternatives Analysis project. Additional layers will be added as they become available.
FIRST AVE Additional Information
- West Broadway Market Study (2015)
- Preliminary mixed-use development plan for S. 34th St. and 2nd Ave. by Knudson Development,(Oct. 2019)
- July 2020 Concepts Package
- Amenity Concept Package
- Trail plaza concepts
- Thomas Jefferson High School trail design concept
- 1st Avenue Trail 16th - 19th Street
- 1st Avenue Trail 19th - 22nd Street
- 1st Avenue Trail 22nd - 25th Street
- 1st Avenue Trail 25th - 28th Street
- 1st Avenue Trail 28th - 31st Street
- 1st Avenue Trail 31st - 34th Street
- 1st Avenue Trail r 34th - 35th Street
- Conceptual 1st Avenue trail crosssection
- Mode Shift Omaha (ZOOM format June 2020) (mp4 file)
- Mode Shift Omaha Presentation (pdf)
- 1st Avenue Committee Meeting (ZOOM format June 2020) (mp4 file)
- 1st Avenue Committee Transit Alternatives Analysis Presentation (June 2020)
- 1st Avenue Committee Meeting (ZOOM format May 2020)
- 1st Avenue Committee Transit Alternatives Analysis Presentation (May 2020)
- 1st Avenue Committee Meeting (April 2020)1st Avenue Meeting (April 2020)
- 1st Avenue Meeting (January 2020) (mp4 file)
- 1st Avenue Transit Alternatives Analysis Stakeholder Presentation (Dec. 2019)
- FIRST AVE Advisory Committee Meeting Presentation (Dec. 2019)
- Brandon Garrett’s - 1st Avenue Presentation to City Council (video)
- Brandon Garrett’s - 1st Avenue Presentation to City Council (PowerPoint Presentation)
- 1st Avenue Mobility Study (Pin-up Day 2 Concepts)
- FIRST AVE Kick-off Meeting
- MCR/Mixed Commercial Residential District
- Letter of support for MCR District from Greg Youell (Executive Director for MAPA)