Fireworks are permitted in Council Bluffs on Friday, July 2, 2021, Saturday, July 3, 2021, and Sunday, July 4, 2021, from noon until midnight.
City of Council Bluffs Fireworks Ordinance:
- Fireworks are permitted in Council Bluffs in 2021 on Friday, July 2, Saturday, July 3, and Sunday, July 4, from noon until midnight.
- Individuals must be 18 years or older to possess and discharge fireworks.
- Fireworks may only be discharged on your property or that of a consenting property owner.
- Fireworks shall not be discharged in areas zoned C-3 or C-4 Commercial Districts.
- Fireworks may not be discharged within 50 feet of another person or within 50 feet of a structure.
- If Pottawattamie County has issued a burn ban, the use of fireworks is strictly prohibited.
- Any person in violation of the ordinance shall be charged accordingly and assessed a fine not less than $250.
Fireworks Safety Information:
We encourage our residents to celebrate safely. Fireworks can cause serious burns and eye injuries. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), 61% of fireworks injuries involve the hands, head, face, and eyes. If you plan to light fireworks, please follow the following safety tips.
- Never light fireworks in your hand or near your face.
- Wear protective eyewear.
- Make sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks.
- Read labels and instructions before using fireworks.
- Light the fireworks on a smooth, flat surface, away from the house and flammable materials.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of a malfunction or fire.
- Always point fireworks toward the sky, never at someone.
- Never relight a dud.
- After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
- If there is an emergency, dial 911.
Please be respectful and consider your neighbors when discharging fireworks. Many children, adults, and pets are frightened or triggered by the loud and unexpected noises of fireworks.