- Police Department
- Become an Officer
Become an Officer
The City of Council Bluffs is not taking applications for the position of Police Officer at this time. See the link below to sign up for an email alert from Human Resources when applications will be taken.
We are currently not taking applications. For information regarding openings, please visit the Employment Opportunities page. You may register to be notified of Police Officer openings when the application process begins again.
Police Officer Informational Brochure (PDF Download)
2024-2026 FOP Contract (PDF Download)
Currently Certified Police Officers
New employees, who at the time of hire, are currently certified law enforcement officers and have appropriate sworn experience as stated below are eligible for lateral transfer if they meet the following conditions:
- Completion of 2-4 years of service shall be paid at Step 3
- Completion of 4-5 years of service shall be paid at Step 4
- Completion of 5 or more years of service shall be paid at Step 5
The Council Bluffs Police Department will pay a $10,000 hiring bonus to any certified peace officer who successfully completed the hiring process, accepts a position with the City, and whose certification is from the State of Iowa or a state that the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy recognizes and has a reciprocal agreement with. To be eligible, the candidate will be required to present current certification from the law enforcement institution/academy they attended. If the certification is not from the State of Iowa, the Police Department will verify with the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy that they will accept the certification.
The hiring bonus will be subject to the following payout schedule:
- $5,000 will be paid on the first payroll check following the successful completion of 30 days of employment.
- $5,000 will be paid on the first payroll check following the successful completion of the 9 month probationary period.
- Failure to comply with the above stated requirements will result in a forfeiture of the payment.
- All hiring bonus payments made to a qualified officer are subject to any and all legal withholding obligations.
The Iowa Law Enforcement Academy's requirements for Out-of-State Officers may be found here. All newly hired officers are required to attend Field Training.
Iowa Law Enforcement Academy (non-certified persons)
For people interested in starting a career in law enforcement, basic training is conducted at the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy. Requirements to attend the academy can be found on the Academies FAQ's page. The sixteen week course is held at Camp Dodge in Johnston Iowa. Basic training for new officers can be viewed here. Upon completion of the academy, officers are required to attend Field Training.
Police Officer Job Description
Download a PDF of the Police Officer Job Description
The City of Council Bluffs offers very competitive wages and benefits for it's officers. Sworn officers wages are dictated by the FOP Lodge #1 Union Contract with the City. Benefits include the following:
- Base salary of $29.15 to $45.54 per hour (effective July 1, 2023)
- Full pay for attending the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy and Field Training.
- Shift differential for afternoon and night shift officers
- Longevity pay based on years of service
- Cash or compensatory time for overtime, double time for overtime on holidays
- Annual uniform allowance
- Two to five weeks of vacation each year, depending on years of service
- Eleven paid holidays per year
- Twelve paid sick days per year, up to a maximum of 1040 hours
- Up to four perfect attendance days per year after probationary period.
- Free 24/7 gym membership to the gym at the Police Station
- Paid Medical, dental, vision, and prescription Insurance with a minimal contribution by the employee
- Downloadable information on copays and deductibles for insurance
- Flexible medical and dependent care spending accounts available for employee contributions
- Life Insurance policies
- Retirement through the Municipal Fire and Police Retirement System of Iowa (MFPRSI): 23.90% City / 9.40% Employee contribution
- Pre & post tax 457B deferred compensation plans
- Quarterly training and top of the line training facilities
- Optional FOP Lodge #1 membership
The City of Council Bluffs Human Resources Department can answer any questions you may have regarding employee benefits. They can be reached by phone at (712) 890-5270