What are the location and maximum height requirements for residential fences and do I need a permit?

The general rules for installing a fence in a residential district are as follows: 1) a fence can be placed on a property line but may not go over onto an adjoining property. 2) in a front yard and along any street, a fence cannot be taller than four feet in height, unless it complies with the appropriate zoning setback standards for the subject property (see FAQ Question #2 for determining zoning setbacks). 3) in a side yard or rear yard, a fence cannot exceed six feet in height. 4) the finished side of a privacy fence must face off-site toward all adjoining properties. 5) permits are not required for residential fences; however, you should contact the Community Development Department at (712) 890-5350 for additional information on allowable fence types in residential zoning districts. Last, always remember "Call Before You Dig" at 1-800-292-8989 or 811.

Show All Answers

1. How can I find out how my property is zoned?
2. How can I determine the setback requirements for my property?
3. How do I find my property lines?
4. Can I operate a business out of my home?
5. Where can I locate an accessory structure (e.g. detached garage, storage shed or pool) on my residential property?
6. What are the location and maximum height requirements for residential fences and do I need a permit?
7. How do I report a possible zoning violation?
8. How is zoning enforced?
9. Who enforces my restrictive covenants and/or private deed restrictions?
10. Can the zoning designation of a parcel of land be changed?
11. I want to care for children in my home. How many can I care for and do I need a permit?
12. I want to sell some of my property to my neighbor. What do I need to do?
13. Is a permit required to place and/or resurface a sign?
14. My property is located in a historical district, or is a local historic landmark; do I need approval for exterior modifications (e.g., window, doors, paint, etc.) to the structure?
15. The alley behind my house is unused. Can I buy it?
16. Where can I park my recreational vehicle on my residential property?
17. Is the Community Development Department the Section 8 Office?
18. How can I purchase a piece of property owned by the City of Council Bluffs?
19. Can I get Tax Increment Financing (TIF) assistance for a project I am considering?
20. I would like to rehab a historic home. Is there any assistance available to help me?
21. I need some financial assistance to rehabilitate my house. Are there any programs to help me?
22. I would like to purchase a home. Is there any downpayment assistance available to help me?
23. What kind of projects does the City fund with their Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and HOME funds?
24. I am having problems with my landlord. Where can I turn to for advice?
25. I need help making my house handicap accessible. Is there any assistance to help me?